Flat roofs are aesthetically-pleasing and easy to maintain. But how do these roofs, which feature little-to-no slopes at all, drain water?
The three main flat roof drainage systems include:
- Interior Drains.
Commonly found on the roofs of larger commercial buildings, this type of drainage system can also be used for residential homes. Essentially, this system acts like a drain in your shower or sink. An interior system of pipes is located beneath the roof, used to carry water away from the home’s foundation. Typically, these drains are placed in the center of the roofing system.
Interior Drain Pros:
- This system is protected by the roof and surrounding walls. This will minimize the risk of pipes cracking or freezing.
- Protects your walls and foundation from water damage.
- This system is completely customizable.
Interior Drain Cons:
- This is the most expensive flat roof drainage system.
- A professional roofing technician needs to handle any repairs.
- Debris can easily cause clogs.
Gutters are the most commonly used drainage system for flat roofing. Gutters can catch rainwater and divert it into a downspout. The water is then carried away from the foundation.
- Inexpensive and the easiest drainage system to install.
- Protects walls, window openings and doorways.
- Gutters keep water away from the building, avoiding potential water damage.
- Susceptible to damage caused by severe weather.
- Gutters may pull away from fascia boards over the years.
Scuppers are large square openings in the outer curbs or walls, found along a building’s roofline. These openings are there to allow flowing water to go from the side of the building. Downspouts are typically installed below the openings to catch water and send it away from the building.
- This is a cost-effective system that is easy to maintain.
- Can enhance the architectural appeal of the building/home.
- Not as effective against downpours.
- Downspouts need to be inspected regularly.
George & Alex Roofing and Waterproofing in New York
At George & Alex Roofing and Waterproofing, we know choosing a Roofing Contractor in the New York Area is a tough job. We are here to help make it easier! Locally owned and operated, George & Alex Roofing and Waterproofing has been providing roof installation and roof repairs throughout the surrounding New York areas since 1995. With each new roofing project, we strive to provide professional, timely service at a fair price. Contact George & Alex Roofing and Waterproofing right here!