Wood shakes and shingle roofing can last up to 30 years, according to RoofingCalculator. Asphalt shingle roofing is almost as durable, with an average lifespan of 25 years.
Roof Shingle Lifespan
The life expectancy of a roof can vary based on the following set of factors:
- Proper installation of the shingles.
- Flashing material.
- Wood shingle or wood shake grade or quality.
- Pitch of the wood shake roof or wood shingle.
- How the wood shingle or shake roof is ventilated at installation. For example, wood shingles installed on solid plywood roof decking will likely have a shorter lifespan than shingles installed over skip sheathing or spaced nailers.
- Shingle or shake roof’s exposure to sunlight and inclement weather.
- Exposure to overhanging trees or debris.
- Exposure to shade, which can promote the growth of moss or lichens.
Aside from selecting a durable wood type, it’s very important to determine its ability to dry out completely when wet.
These two approaches can be used:
- Use a breathable underlayment to apply over the sheathing.
- Create a system of spaced sheathing above the solid sheathing with horizontal and vertical battens.
How Long Do Tile Roofs Last?
Stone tiles are typically made of slate, concrete, clay and terracotta. There are many benefits of this roofing material, including its ability to withstand strong winds and resist fading from sunlight. However, tile roofing will require professional installation since it is extremely heavy duty. Due to its overall strength and durability, tile roofing can last a very long time even in the harshest of conditions.
Average Life Expectancy: 40-60 years.
How Long Do Metal Roofs Last?
Metal roofing is a material made of galvanized or stainless steel sheeting. Copper sheets and tiles are an alternative option with this roofing. The cost of the steel roofing will very much depend on the sheet’s profile that is applied to the finish, as well as the roof shape and size. Undoubtedly, metal roofing will provide durability. Using copper can give your home an old world appearance, turning a pale green patina with age.
Average Life Expectancy: 100+ years.
How Long Do Flat Roofs Last?
Generally, a flat roof’s life expectancy heavily relies on the material(s) used to cover it. Asphalt coverings will feature two layers of felt combined with molten asphalt, topped by a gravel layer. An alternative option is rubber roofing. This rubber roofing could be EPDM or an elastomeric membrane, which will not be covered by gravel. This roofing type is more expensive than asphalt due to its durability and UV resistance.
Average Life Expectancy: 10-50 years.
Increase Your Roof Lifespan With Regular Maintenance
One key to a long-lasting roof is to schedule regular maintenance/inspections by the professionals. When you identify these issues early and schedule repairs, it will undoubtedly extend your roof’s lifespan.
George & Alex Roofing and Waterproofing in New York
At George & Alex Roofing and Waterproofing, we know choosing a Roofing Contractor in the New York Area is a tough job. We are here to help make it easier! Locally owned and operated, George & Alex Roofing and Waterproofing has been providing roof installation and roof repairs throughout the surrounding New York areas since 1995. With each new roofing project, we strive to provide professional, timely service at a fair price. Contact George & Alex Roofing and Waterproofing right here!