How can you properly and safely clean solar panels on your roof? Use our step-by-step guide below!
What You Need To Know Before Cleaning Solar Panels
Check your manufacturer’s instructions prior to cleaning, as not all solar panels will feature the exact same maintenance suggestions. Make safety your number one priority if you are attempting to clean your panels as a DIY project.
Cooler days are better for cleanings since this will minimize any possibility of cracking glass as water begins to dry. Refrain from using heavy-duty detergent for this process. Turn the panels off before cleaning and do not touch the underside at any time. Contact a professional cleaning service if you have any safety concerns.
Step 1. Clear Debris With A Soft Brush
- Debris, such as dust and dirt, can be brushed away gently using a soft-bristled tool.
- This part of the cleaning process can be done from the ground with a brush attached to an extension pole.
- You may need a ladder in the event your brush does not include an extension.
- Stay safe by wearing a hardhat and harness when climbing the roof.
- Begin by gently brushing the panels individually.
- Refrain from adding water to the brush during this step.
Step 2. Spray Panels With A Hose
- Use a garden hose to wash away any remaining dust/debris.
- A high-pressure washer can damage the panels, so refrain from using an excess of water.
- Damaging the panels by using an excess of water can void warranties due to noncompliance with manufacturer instructions.
- Remove the high-pressure attachment from the hose, if applicable. Spray each panel carefully.
Step 3. Scrub Panels With Soft Brush And Water
- Give problem areas some extra attention with a sponge or soft cloth dunked into a bucket of clean water.
- Use gentle, repetitive motions to wipe away the spots.
- Use distilled or deionized water for optimal performance.
- Use just a squirt of mild dish soap mixed with one part vinegar and eight parts water for especially stubborn spots.
- After the soap is rinsed, it could leave behind some undesirable streaks.
Step 4. Measure The Cleaning Impact
- Solar panels are rated for output within a specific range of watts based on location, system and environmental factors.
- With low solar outputs, homeowners must rely on power from additional energy providers, which can drive up energy costs.
- Review your bills before and after you have cleaned your solar panels.
- Clean panels will lower your overall costs.
Step 5. Call The Professionals For Cleaning Needs
- Call a professional service if you do not feel safe handling this cleaning task.
- Removal of any build up on the panels is part of routine maintenance.
Roof Repair In New York
At George & Alex Roofing and Waterproofing, we know choosing a Roofing Contractor in the New York Area is a tough job. We are here to help make it easier! Locally owned and operated, George & Alex Roofing and Waterproofing has been providing roof installation and roof repairs throughout the surrounding New York areas since 1995. With each new roofing project, we strive to provide professional, timely service at a fair price. Contact George & Alex Roofing and Waterproofing right here!