If you are in need of a tile roof cleaning guide, George & Alex Roofing and Waterproofing is here to help! This post will cover how and why tile roofs need to undergo routine cleaning and maintenance.
Why Clean Tile Roofing?
Tile roofs will need to be cleaned for a variety of reasons. First among those reasons is to make the roof last as long as possible. This will help to keep it looking great and clean, while helping to catch any damage early on. Additionally, routine cleaning can preserve the underlayment, ensuring easy and quick water run off.
Here are a few reasons why tile roof cleaning is a necessity:
Catch Damage Early On
Performing cleaning tasks will give homeowners a chance to thoroughly examine their roofing conditions. Spotting any signs of damage or potential issues early can help prevent leaks, mold and mildew. Catching these issues early will undoubtedly save you on repair costs. When a roof is cleaned regularly, minor issues will be caught, saving homeowners time and money.
Roofing Will Last Longer
Any type of roofing has one simple job: keep water out of the home. Working with the underlayment, tile roofing works to prevent any damage to your living areas. Cleaning the tiles will prevent algae or mold growth, helping to ensure a long and healthy life for the roofing. Spores associated with these biological growths can eat right through the underlayment if the roofing is left unattended. If this occurs, you will be forced to replace the underlayment altogether.
How To Clean Tile Roofing
Anyone attempting to clean tile roofing as their next DIY project needs to have the right tools and safety procedures before beginning the process. Use this guide to prepare for the cleaning:
Tile Roof Cleaning Safety Tips
You will need shoes with great traction, helping to distribute your weight as evenly as possible. Make sure you only step in dry areas on the roof and carefully tread on the lower portion of the tile roofing. Work your way by section, then buff the tiles. Be sure that any chemicals you are using are covered and protected from overspray or any run off that may occur.
Tile Roof Cleaning Tools
Use the following tools for tile roof cleaning: pressure washer, ladder, plywood sections, chemicals, sealant and any possible replacement tiles, paint or sealer. Ensure that you have the correct nozzles for the pressure washer based on the chemicals you choose to use.
Tile Roof Cleaning Steps
1. Pressure Wash: Start the process by using your pressure washer to remove any debris or dirt from the roof. This includes taking care of any leaves, dead insects or twigs that may be in the area. Work your way down from the ridge to the gutter. Make sure the roof is completely dry before moving on to the next task.
2. Cleaning Chemicals: Reduce the pressure washer power to evenly distribute the tile cleaning solution. Let the product seep into the tile pores for a few minutes until the area is dry.
3. Rinse Cycle: The chemicals need to be effectively removed via the rinsing process. Sometimes this can be the most demanding step of the entire cleaning task. Turn the pressure back up on the washer and aim directly at any stains/dirt. Work your way downward.
4. Clean Gutters: Chances are the removed dirt/debris now resides in your gutters. Remove all debris from your gutters.
5. Buff Tiles: You will want to buff the tiles as soon as the roofing is completely dry. This step is very helpful in catching any potential problems.
6. Seal And Paint: You may need to prime, paint and seal the tiles, depending on the roofing style and condition. Once the roof is cleaned, it’s time to refinish the roofing. Prime, reseal tiles and paint the roofing, if you are so inclined.
George & Alex Roofing and Waterproofing in New York
At George & Alex Roofing and Waterproofing, we know choosing a Roofing Contractor in the New York Area is a tough job. We are here to help make it easier! Locally owned and operated, George & Alex Roofing and Waterproofing has been providing roof installation and roof repairs throughout the surrounding New York areas since 1995. With each new roofing project, we strive to provide professional, timely service at a fair price. Contact George & Alex Roofing and Waterproofing right here!